New York Family Law and Mediation Attorney
New York Mediation Attorney
What is Family & Divorce Mediation
How Am I Different?
Family Law Practice Areas
Litigated Divorce
Uncontested Divorce
Divorce Mediation
Custody / Visitation
Equitable Distribution
Child Support
Spousal Support
Prenuptial / Postnuptial
Post Judgement of Divorce Matters
Family Court Matters
Contact New York Family Law Lawyers
30 Central Park South New York, NY 10019
New York Family Law and Mediation Lawyer Attorney Profile Frequently Asked Questions Resource Links Contact a New York Family Law Attorney
Click here to read our Blog

Post-Judgment of Divorce Matters in New York

Enforcement and Modifications of Court Orders

If you are divorced and are unhappy with your present arangment with your former spouse, you need an experienced Nassau County divorce lawyer and an experienced New York City divorce lawyer. In New York State, divorces are litigated and resolved in the Supreme Court. The Court will issue an order - the Judgment of Divorce - regarding child custody, child support, equitable distribution and spousal support. The Judgement of Divorce is the court order which legally terminates the marriage. The Judgment of Divorce serves two main purposes: to inform the parties of their rights and obligations under the terms of the order, and to ensure the parties understand their respective rights and responsibilities.

Post Judgment Modifications

Sometimes significant changes occur after the parties are legally divorced that make it necessary to change the Court Order. In these situations, the party who seeks to change the existing Court Order can apply for a modification. However, obtaining a modification can be difficult. You must prove to the Court that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred that makes it impossible or impracticable to comply with the current order.

For example, if a parent who was originally making over $100,000 dollars a year suddenly becomes unemployed or suffers a catastrophic injury that prevents him/her from continuing to work, they may have a significant enough change in financial circumstances to seek a modification of their child support order. On the other hand, if a person quits their job and then tries to seek a modification, the judge will most likely deny their request.

Post Judgment Enforcements

Another type of post-judgment action is for enforcement. Enforcements are sought when one party does not comply with his or her responsibilities in the Judgment of Divorce. For example, if a spouse is ordered to pay maintenance, but is delinquent in this spousal support, the other spouse can seek an enforcement from the Court. The party seeking enforcement is asking the court to compel the other party to make good on his/her court-ordered obligations. If the party is determined to be non-compliant, the Court can impose serious and dire legal consequences.

Get Help From a Dedicated Nassau County and New York City Divorce Attorney

Regardless of whether you are seeking an enforcement or a modification, Peretz Family Law & Mediation, P.C. can help you achieve your objectives. Adam Peretz, Esq. is an experienced divorce lawyer and is adept at handling post-judgment of divorce applications involving all aspects of the parties divorce rights and responsibilities. You can trust that Peretz Family Law & Mediation, P.C. will provide you with the personalized attention and dedicated representation you need and will zealously represent your rights and protect your interests.

Contact New York divorce attorney Adam Peretz for more information!

Attorney Web Design The information on this New York Family Law Lawyers / Law Firm website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 7600 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 308, Woodbury, New York 11797 Phone: (516) 639-6747 Office